Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Visit to the school...

Story #1.
Every Tuesday I get to go to Emily's class and help out with the "centers". Usually we are doing a little craft of something. Right up my alley, I LOVE that kind of stuff. I also get to listen in as Emily rotates to her other centers, Every now and again she will look at my and give that little thumbs up!! So cute!
So, the kids rotate in small groups and come to my table for my center. It's really great to have small groups so that I can get to know all the kids. (I really miss teaching at the preschool.) They are the sweetest little kids, all with such personality and desire for independence. Today we worked on making the Mayflower ship and painted hand print turkeys. It was a lot of fun watching them put everything together and all the different ways they do things, every ship looked a bit different. They had to cut waves from blue paper and not one looked the same. At the end of my time in the room today one of the little boys came up to me and said "I LOVE YOU, I REALLY DO LOVE YOU"!!
Melt my heart!!

I have to enjoy this time in the classroom while I can, once they get bigger there aren't many opportunities to go in! BOOO HOOO!!


Story #2.
Trying to help your children understand how to make GOOD friends and how to BE a good friend, can prove to be very difficult. Lets face it, even as we grow older we have to live and learn in the Friend department. Emily said she has one little girl in her class who insist she COPY her work or she will not be her friend. She gets very upset about it and says she wants to do her own work and they can still be friends. She also has another friend who can only be friends with one person at a time. The whole "If you play with them, than I wont be your friend" thing. KINDERGARTEN stuff. So silly the things that can affect a friendship, make a friendship, ruin a friendship. I tell them everyday before they jump out of the van, be the best friend you can be, the best YOU!! Not everyone is going to like you, you wont like every person you meet and THAT'S OKAY, but be your best YOU!


Story #3.
When I go in for centers on Tuesday I usually hit the gym after so that I am not going into school smelly. Emily does not like this. She is insistent that I have lunch with her, holding onto my neck and whispering in my ear "don't go mom, you have to have lunch with me"...I'll be changing my work out routine next week, and those kids will just have to deal with smelly me!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no better advice to give for the "friend department"! Sadly we all learn through trial and error! In the end we are left with the ones who mean the most!