Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Black bean Chicken soup

Trying to NOT shop for groceries this week and use up what we have in the fridge. We will be heading out soon for VACATION and I like to leave with a empty fridge. I am one of those freak people that have to have the entire house cleaned, truck cleaned, files in order, and yard cleaned before I can leave for vacation. Its a problem, I know. Lucky for me my Family seems to get that I have this problem and seem to just stay away from me while I'm preparing for our trips!
Also lucky for me that the kids are all old enough to pack alone! I just make a list of must haves and they do the rest. Now we sometimes end up with car bags that are bigger that our clothes bags because they hold the contents of ones entire room, but we just smile and say "I'm not going to be responsible for getting all of that back home". Or I also like to smile and say "We are returning to this house you know. You dont have to bring your entire room". Most times it results in ONE stuffed animal being removed from the bag or a bouncy ball. Hey, better than nothing! I have my issues, so do they! Ha!ha!

Since we are trying to use what we have this week I was a little lost as to what to make for dinenr. My husband LOVES the fiesta chicken that I make but I asked what he wanted for dinner the other night too late to make that so I can up with this and It turned out AWESOME!! I LOVE me some black bean soup but my husband LOVES him some chicken. This dish is pretty much like the fiesta chicken just made into a soup. A simple soup. Because I already had my chicken prepped this really only took about 15 minutes to put together and then I let it simmer for about 25 minutes.

I was searching recipes online a while back and found that a lot of people use vegetable broth in black bean soup so I gave that a try since I happen to have a box and it was really good!
Check out the fiesta chicken farther down and you'll see that its almost the same. So if you like that, you'll love this!


Your will need :
1 whole organic cooked chicken, shredded or chopped to your liking
3 cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed (two of the cans smashed and set aside)
2 cups frozen corn
1 tub of all natural salsa (NO SUGAR ADDED)
1 large onion chopped and sauteed
1 box (4c) of no salt added veg stock
**spices to taste (used when cooking the onions and again when all mixed):
cayenne
garlic
cumin
onion powder

**optional toppings:
low fat sour cream
2% shreded motz cheese
fresh cilantro
hot sauce
avacodo

After chopping the chicken, cooking the onion with the spices, and smashing two of the cans of beans, mix everything into a pan. Spice it up some more to your liking and simmer for about 20-25 minutes. We topped ours with motz cheese and cilantro because that all we had in the fridge. It was awesome!! Everyone loved it and asked If I could write it down and put it on the rotation!
I hope your family enjoys it as well!

**This made enough for my Family of 5 with 2 servings left over.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum!! I'll totally be making a version of this you know!!! Thanks!

Carissa said...

It was so good! Your family will love it!