Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Camping and eating healthy

One our very favorite things to do as a family is camping.  But man is getting ready for camping a good bit of work.  Work that typically is all done by me because John is traveling and to be completely honest, I like things done my way. Lol

Every year we try to make things a little less complicated food wise and not stress so much about what the heck we are going to eat.  I don't want to spend my whole day cooking and cleaning at camp because #1 it's a bit more difficult that just taking the dishes to the sick and #2 I just want to chill and have fun.  

So we've figured out that the prep before camping allows us to really enjoy the trip more.  It's more work on the front side but makes for a much more enjoyable weekend. 

So, I make lists. Plan out meals and snacks and get to work. 
Things that I prep:
Oat packs
(Measure and add goodies like protein powder, flax, nuts, whatever)
Veggies
(Chop, season and foil pack for grilling)
Burgers
(I pre patty and season)
Salads
(Chop and dress)
Snack packs
(I have a bin just for snacks for the kids and Baggie them up into proper portions)
Eggs
(I mix the eggs and egg whites and put them in a large water bottle type container so I don't have all the eggs in my cooler)
pancakes
(I mix up the pancake batter and put it into this handy pancake bottle)
 ***we tropical take whole fruit instead of chopped or mixed. Easier travel and kinda fun to slice up the whole watermelon or cantaloupe and watch it get devoured! 
Chicken
(John likes to boil the chicken ahead so it's not all gross in the cooler. I always hate this for some reason, maybe the boiling process seems icky to me but it's always nice to just have to toss it on the grill and add bbq sauce, no long cook time and no gross chicken juice in the cooler!!  Sometimes we just freeze it and keep it locked up tight)
Tuna
(Wild planet has the best cans with a pop type lid and you just open and eat! No draining, no can opener!)

ONLY PACK EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO EAT! 
It's easy to get Carried away and overpack. 
You know what your family is going to eat in a weekend and it it super nice to go home with an empty cooler! 

We use two coolers, one for food and one for drinks.  This way the food cooler stays organized because no one is digging through it to find that one mini soda that's left! ;)

This year we mixed up brownies  ahead and then just poured them into a cast iron skillet and cooked them on the dinner coals!!! Worked perfect!!! 

Some pictures of how I organize camp...

We  have containers and bins that stay stocked with camping items all year and we just refill as needed after the camping trip so that next time we camp it's all ready to go. Foil, paper towels, games, lighters, utensils, all stay packed and in the proper bins. That 3 drawer bin is heavy, but so nice to have. It's basically kitchen cabinets on the go!  The drawers come out for easier transport to the camp site and once everything is set up, it's so nice to have! 












No comments: